Thursday, December 17, 2009

hook holder

One of my favorite gifts that I am giving this year is a yarn basket filled with wonderful yarns and books on how to crochet. A girl friend of mine has been wanting to learn, so I thought it would be a perfect gift to help her along. As a finishing touch, I decided to make her a hook holder.

Using dot patterns from Kei, Lecien, Denyse Schmidt, and other various companies I do not know the name of, to back the hooks. The main pattern is one of Echino's new fabrics called Ornament Turquoise, which is just scrumptious in person.
I made a few extra slots, so her collection of hooks has room to grow. To make this holder, I modified the colored pencil roll pattern from the book, Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts. I love this book, it has so many wonderful ideas in it.

This was such a fun project that I decided to make one for myself. Currently my hooks live on the bottom of whatever bag my yarn is currently shoved into, so this was a necessity for me. I think I just need to learn to make everything in pairs, one to give away and one to keep. I know that is a bit selfish, but it's hard not to fall in love with the things we make.

7 comments:

  1. wow, that is such an awesome gift, you have a very lucky friend. I've been meaning to make one for my friend that knits/crochets. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! :) I have been wanting to make one for my watercolor brushes! :) Now, I might make one for my knitting needles as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is supercute! Especially love all of the dot fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris! I love this! What a great gift and wonderful idea. Super cute my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute roll! That Echino is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a great idea, i love that book too, I think the pencil roll is the only thing in it i haven't made, but i definately will now for dpns and crochet hooks - thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete