Monday, November 23, 2009

one more check off the list


Since I am at a stand still with my HST quilt, I decided to get one of my Christmas list quilts done. I'm having a hard time staying focused on my Christmas sewing list, seeing as it is sunny and warm outside. It's one of the things about living in southern California that I will never get use to, every year I have to force myself to get holiday things done, because it never really feels like the holidays. I think it was all those white Christmas mornings in New York as a child that makes me associate Christmas with snow and cold. I successfully got myself into the mood last week, and am glad to have another check off on my list. A quilt for my sister....who has very different taste than I do. In order to make this quilt a reflection of her style, I had to go outside of my comfort zone and use red. The red fabric used is Kona cotton in Crimson.....and not at all a color I would ever choose to work with. I just kept telling myself "It's not for me, it's not for me". The layout of the quilt was inspired by one of my fellow guild members Terri and that part of the quilt I love. I will have to make one of these large wonky blocks, using only colors that I love, one day. I think it would be a good design for one of my boys.

I had a few request for a tutorial on my machine cover, I am hoping to have that finished and up by tomorrow. It will be my first tutorial and I want to make sure I take my time to do a good job.....I'm a bit nervous, but it is a really easy project, so the tutorial should be easy, right?!?!

8 comments:

  1. Nice job! I'm currently working on something that's a gift and not my style either. It's hard. This inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had high hopes of producing many quilted gifts........don't know what has happened there!! I did manage a couple but it is sooooo distracting working in colours your creativity isn't the best of friends with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fanastic looking quilt, I bet your sister will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fabulous! I love the huge block and those great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job! Love the AB fabrics. I'm sure your sister will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is beautiful! I absolutely love the red on this. I know what you mean about "getting in the spirit". Last year it was so great to FINALLY have a white Christmas. It had been 30 years for our part of the world. ...but warm sunny weather in the winter does have its advantages. :) I look forward to seeing your first tutorial! (P.S. Thanks for taking the time to read more on the quilts for kids blog - and for taking the time to consider contributing!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! You did such an amazing job on the wonky block!

    Can't wait for the tutorial! Please share with us the model of Bernina you have, so those of us that have the same can use your measurements exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the bit on the bottom that takes you into the binding. The straight stitching is an awesome addition.

    ReplyDelete